msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Feeding horse during a mission (Was: Still here)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Feeding horse during a mission (Was: Still here)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:16:16 -0600

Lila, you are in North Carolina, USA. Even in the worst winter,
there are few places anywhere in the state where there won't be
some grass for the horses to eat. A bigger concern is how you
would provide for your own needs, if caught out overnight in the
field. Meaning away from the trailer. We could help you better
if you told us what county you're in, but I doubt there are many
places in the state where you couldn't be relieved within a few
hours.

Also, missing a meal or two is far less serious than running out
of water.

I found that when storing feed in the trailer, it should be some
form of feed that does not go rancid because, frankly, I am not
organized enough to replace the stored feed on a regular schedule.
Hay pellets and baled hay are okay. Grain and sweet feed are
okay in winter, but can go very rancid very fast in hot weather.

Cheers,