msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Code Amber scam

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Joseph Huston" <jchuston@earthlink.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Code Amber scam
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:29:27 -0500

From the local director of the Amber Alert system in my area:

Code Amber is not an Amber Alert system such as the Houston Regional Amber Plan, they just started up to take advantage of the Amber Alert awareness trend. I recommend them only for the Amber Alert ticker that they keep updated for all authorized Amber Alert programs. Unfortunately Amber and Amber Alert were not registered, trademarked or copyrighted as regards missing kids so anyone can throw up that name and use it to raise money!

Authorized Amber Alert programs operate at the behest of law enforcement agencies in whose jurisdictions children are abducted. There are 120 separate Amber Alert programs in the US who cooperate but are not legally affiliated with each other. Comprehensive Amber Alert info can be found at: http://www.ncmec.org/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=991.

The complete list of authorized Amber Alert programs can be found at: http://www.ncmec.org/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=477

Joe Huston