msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Who is CODE AMBER...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • Cc: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Who is CODE AMBER...
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 21:45:00 -0700 (PDT)

Irv, we may have something confused here...I beleive this .org  was organized to help promote and go hand in hand the original alert systems even more and especially on the internet to spread even more awareness...it is national and does cover in Canada as well.
Thus, this informs the general public in addition to other alerts ... also, to the best my knowlegde, yes the said Amber Alert system was put forth by legislation due to a missing child to which the system was named after.  I am not aware of any reason why this .org in doing what they do is not a good thing.  As far as I know, the more you can get the word out on a missing party, the quicker the potential is that they will be found.  They work in conjunction with the media as well.
 To the best of my knowledge, they do just that and inform the public just as any alert that may be posted on the highway.  They do not do animals.  The Amber alerts sent out are very informative down to the clothes the missing parties are wearing at the tiem of missing, age, color hair, gender, race, last seen, the abductor, and to vehicle licenses, including the descriptions of vehicles the perps are driving and other details such as being armed and dangerous as well.  They also will notify on cases that persons are found.  So for what that is worth, therefore it does have its value to quite a few people.
From what I have heard the pro drivers say, the traffic flasher alerts are about as worthless as hooters on a boar, in especially given as much as you are having to mind traffic and having other things to be aware of while driving and the alerts are vaque at best at 40-55 plus mph. when seeing them on the highway flashers, thus getting only vague information in passing them.  Also, most pro drivers these days do carry personal computers and/or their jobs may or may not possibly send Amber alerts to them regarding missing persons via other types of equipment the companies use and the majority of pro drivers are not allowed to read these computer distractions while driving. For the sake of safety, they are required to pull over to the side of the road and stop to get them, be they company messages or other.  (Not always a choice when you are a driver and time is money.) They are not allowed to run their personal computers while driving either, just as it is illegal in most areas not to use a cell phone while driving.
My humble opinion of these "highway flasher messages", they can serve as a distraction too, when being read while driving and reading them enroute is not always the safest thing to do. Same with a GPS, however the GPS is more worthy of having as a distration.  Between a CB or other radio, the cell phone, the PC, the GPS and any other equipment the pro drivers carry, they have their hands full enough with the metal on the road.
The  CODE AMBER organization is just another tool out there for the general public.  As far as donations, that is up to any individual and a personal choice that is why I scrubbed that portion of the email forwarding, figuring those in the know already knew and those not knowing would ask.  I did not feel the posting was pertinant at the time regarding where to contact if wanting to donate .   Anyone wiht that interest, visit their website. They are very happy if you just put their ticker on your desktop or on a website.  It helps get the word out and many times, that is what it can be all about.. and it is free and when it gets down to it, free advertising is a great investment!
If you have another souce or reference for the general public of similiar value, I,  for one as I am sure others here would be interested in having that too to add to our resources.  While some may not agree,  I humbley  feel, more info is often better.  And if you go back and forth between the US and Canada, CODEAMBER is a pretty good reference to have.
K. Nesbitt - VMSAR
Iroquois County - Illinois
(Treat every intersection as a death trap.  It is not just good professional driving advise, it should be a rule.)