msar-riders - [MSAR] Whistles, the unheard training device...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Whistles, the unheard training device...
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:23:47 -0700 (PDT)

On the topic of whistles, and whistle training, years back we tried training dogs with silent dog whistles.  While they may work for a dog, I am just wondering on those SAR with search dogs if they have found these whistles effective in training.  As MSAR teams and  SAR teams work areas nearby, has any of the mounteds come across problems with their horses that might stem from that?  Do any of the SAR dog units use them?  They seem to be a more obsolete method, but was just curious. And, just as a loud whistle may spook a horse, has anyone taken in account the "quiet" whistle?

How about those "deer" whistles on the bumpers on cars...Speeding traffic is bad enough, but those whistles can spook a mount big time.

And on the topic of the kids and their fanny packs, as ALL subjects get fatiqued, they have a tendency to lose what they carry or wear.   Parents do best to equip their kids with high visibility colors.  A florescent pink or shocking yellow  or glowing orange is far better to let the kids have then camo.

K. Nesbitt
Iroquois County- Illinois
VMSAR

  • [MSAR] Whistles, the unheard training device..., Karen Nesbitt, 08/24/2008