msar-riders - [MSAR] What stinks...and not all snakes rattle!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] What stinks...and not all snakes rattle!
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:53:36 -0700 (PDT)

Some of the most offensive odors horses can craze to are:

FEAR
decomp
rotten garbage
goat, cougar, bear, deer scant or urine, stud piles from foreign horses
gasoline, diesel, cannabis, other weeds,  meth, alcohol, cigarettes, farm chemicals such as herbicides, and occassionally some perfumes, smoke.
To what degree? .... depends on the animal.  His exposure and natural fright.

What baffles me most that it is true though, that some horses have been known to run back into a burning barn...go figure.

So then why dogs on the other hand can get all happy and tail wiggly over some of the odors above, is only a tail/tale a dog and it's handler can tell!  Makes ya really wonder how your animal can love the snot out of ya when you got BO or crotch rot!!  ANd why they just love to take a roll or eat bird dung...beyond me, but aren't we all glad these critters can make our teams!

Scents horses seem to love, hmmm...mares in heat, stinky armpits...(well mine does anyway.. LOL!) , dung piles of mares in heat, good hay, sweet feed other treats....relaxed owners.

Happy scenting everyone!

K. Nesbitt
Iroquois County - Illinois
VMSAR

(Don't think a snake does not have an oder?  ....

Visit a reptile house!  That will tune your senses!  And tuning our senses,  isn't that something we as MSAR all should do? )