msar-riders - [MSAR] List activity

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] List activity
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 09:10:59 -0600

MSAR-Riders has been quiet for almost a month. Nothing wrong; that
happens regularly. I've been incredibly busy and I expect everyone is
the same.

I did a lazy Google search (all web rather than our archive) yesterday,
looking for something I posted here a few years ago about navigational
techniques and found it ... in the Virgina MSAR standards. Cool!

What have you been up to? Getting ready for the summer? Training?
Learning to use cool new equipment? Getting more mission callouts?

Locally, we are dealing with a lot of accumulated trail erosion, a
consequence the Cerro Grande wildfire in 2000. For several years most
of our trails were completely blocked by treefalls, but now most of
the trees have fallen and trail clearing is beginning to keep on top
of things. Two years ago, trail crews finished clearing one 5-mile
trail and the very next day a windstorm felled 100 more trees across
the trail. So now we can begin to pack equipment in to the damaged
sections that need fixing.

Relevant to SAR, now that the trails are usable again we can expect
far more use on them, hence more calls for SAR. I am also laying the
groundwork, slowly, for some kind of horse-related field training
that will be of value to MSAR folks. But, lately most of my outdoor
time has been devoted to orienteering.

Has anyone tried one of those "extreme trail challenge" rides that
are trendy now? They sound like a lot of fun, and great experience
for MSAR, as you never know where you'll be riding hence what kinds
of trail conditions you'll face.