msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Presentation materials wanted!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Presentation materials wanted!
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:31:50 -0500

Jan,

I have a 1-hour MSAR PowerPoint presentation that explains MSAR operations for Virginia and Maryland that was modified for use by the TROTSAR Mounted Team.
I believe the presentation should be useful since our deployment oversight comes from two different State governments. As an example; the Virginia Department of Emergency Management is responsible for the oversight of search operations for the Commonwealth; in Maryland, the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Police is authority that registers SAR Team for State Level SAR response, with the MD State Police being vested with SAR oversight.
The presentation was originally created for a joint project between the Commonwealth Search and Rescue Team's Mount Unit and the TROTSAR Mounted Team for a co-hosted MSAR Presentation at the 2007 Virginia SAR Conference held in Richmond, VA. However, after the conference we modified the presentation to make it more specific to reflect our team's mission since we are the only MSAR resource that holds state level MOU's and have been approved as a MSAR response resource for both Maryland and Virginia.

If you think the presentation would be helpful, I can email you copy of the file.

Ride Safe,

T'mi

Commander
TROTSAR Mounted Team
www.trotsar.org

Janice Hatch wrote:

Hello, I am a new member of MSAR. I am currently president of the only mounted unit in Maine, established in 2000. We work under the direction of the Game Warden service who commands all searches in Maine. Within the state there are 2 dog units, technical teams (mountains, High angle, water, & air), and several ground search units. The Maine Association for Search and Rescue which oversees our certification and training is still learning how to best utilize our resource. We have a 2 day SAR conference scheduled for May 3 &4 and I have volunteered to give a 1-2hr. presentation on mounted S&R. Do any other units have a completed presentation, such as power point, that we could use? Any other resource suggestions are welcome, Thanks Jan Hatch