msar-riders - [MSAR] Horse air-scent training, Vancouver Island, Canada

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Horse air-scent training, Vancouver Island, Canada
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:33:23 -0600

Newspaper story "Horses get a chance to prove they're up to sniff":

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=0549ad60-10b0-4e5b-bba7-bb8aae68f268

The trainer mentioned in the article, Terry Nowacki, has posted a
wealth of information about air scenting horses on MSAR-Riders,
all in our public web archive. Try our Google search interface:

http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/msar-riders.html

In the Vancouver Sun article Terry is quoted "The rider needs more
training than the horse." In my experience that is true more often
than not. I have seen horses alert on a "subject" hiding in bushes,
only to have their riders correct them for offering to depart from
the assigned task of (ahem) finding the subject.

An outfit in Vermont trains air scenting horses and holds clinics:

Vermont Mounted Response Unit
http://www.horsepatrol.org/

Enjoy,