msar-riders - [MSAR] (no subject)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jyaniro@aol.com
  • To: MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:56:18 EST

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Can you believe that it is already March? The weather is suppose to come in like a lion and go out like a lamb, right? I love the snow, but I think we have had enough of it this year!

 Here's a story you might enjoy!

  Claim: Navigation devices get drivers lost

British drivers are being led astray by navigation devices
that are supposed to make driving easier, a published report
said. Satellite navigation systems, called GPS in the United
States and SatNavs in Europe, have become so popular that 2.3
million of them were purchased in Britain last year, The
Washington Times reported. But the country's small villages,
narrow curvy roads, wetlands, streams and bridges apparently
hamper the effectiveness of these high-tech devices. One
SatNav mistake led army tanks down a small lane in the quaint
village of Donnington several times, because the navigation
device confused the village with the Donnington barracks 15
miles away, the newspaper said. A resident of the village said
it was "like an invasion." Railroad officials said SatNavs
cause $20 million in damages annually by leading vehicles
onto 2,000 railroad bridges a year.