msar-riders - [MSAR] GPS

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] GPS
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:54:47 -0800 (PST)

Check out:

http://planetgps.com/?s_kwcid=garmin%20streetpilot%20c330%20gps

Just got a Garmin c330 at Walmart... $176 Was on sale though - reg...$249 and has sold earlyier at around $495 (Guess I overpaid over ebay or amazon, but I don't like shopping on line and like to see the product in my hands so I don;t have to return it later and so far satisfied!)

The clerk said they are quiting this brand.  Now she was not clear if that was the manufacturer was stopping makign this model or if Wally was just not getting it in any more.
It is pretty nice, has resturants, truckstops, churches a multitude of "places" of interest, and the features are nice.  Easy to read, easy to calibrate.

Am looking for any "trucker friendly" software for it since we also use it in the semi.  Just did not happen to go straight for that route on this unit as we needed something fast and was what we could find in the budget.  Will probably replace this one later for a more trucker friendly model just for that, but its what we got!

We beleive there is some  trucker friendly software out there, but even without it, it should do ok for traveling, just got to check the truckers atlas' and all for points of problems like low bridges, weighstations and the like!

It is also portable, can be used for walking as well...it has a talk feature so there is a voice that says your turns etc. destination etc and does give plenty of signal before you need to turn so that is a nice feature when on the road.

The website above was in its packaging.

It does not appear to be waterproof...I never thought to think about that feature!
K. Nesbitt
Iroquios County - VMSAR
Illinois
spanishequines (at) yahoo (dot) com

(Still need hay!!!  beg beg beg!!! we are in crisis mode here in that search...)

  • [MSAR] GPS, Karen Nesbitt, 02/29/2008