msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] UTM vs. Lat/long

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <jchuston@earthlink.net>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] UTM vs. Lat/long
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:32:37 -0500

The consideration is not to have to convert as conversion adds possible
errors. I would determine what system your master map holder uses and then
use that one.

For instance: If your PSAP/EOC uses Lat/Long with minutes and seconds to
determine where cell phones and boats are that is probably the system you
should use. Perhaps they use decimal degrees. It does seem that lat/long is
preferred for Phase 2 cell phone location and many automatic vehicle
location systems based on GPS.

On the other hand UTM is easy to teach, can be read with a ruler, and is
printed on every USGS topo map.

What I strongly suggest is that each organization establish a SOG that
defines which map format is preferred including the scale, coverage, oldest
acceptable date (some of our area dates back to 1927 for ground checks) and
which datum. If necessary establish a switch setting list and software
release for GPS and computer based systems.

I am constantly surprised by users who think they know what they are doing
but never wrote down the default settings for their box and then wonder why
each ride is different as they take it out of the carrying case.

Irv Lichtenstein