msar-riders - [MSAR] IL truck wreck update

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David Skofstad" <dbs54neigh@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] IL truck wreck update
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:44:20 -0600

Forty-one of fifty-nine horses have survived the Rt. 41 double-decker rollover.  An "after-incident" meeting was held last Thursday by the Newport Fire Department for all the civilian volunteers that helped at the scene.  The meeting included a review of the events, brainstorming what went right/wrong, and possible future planning directions.  Mental health professionals from the Lake County Health Department were on hand.

Thirteen horses were adopted out as of last Saturday.  These went to people who worked the accident or have been involved in nursing the survivors.  At present there are several animals with active infections, some from wounds, some from strangles-like strep infections.  One horse who was thought to have a superficial scalp wound had the whole top of his head slough off.  Some bridle path!

As animals recover and appropriate homes are located, they will continue to be adopted out.  Some may never be adopted, such as one mare of about 5 or 6 years of age who is nearly blind from a condition pre-dating the accident and which is likely the reason she was on the truck. Her vision loss leaves her very fearful. She has not yet allowed anyone to touch her since I held her on the ground after she went down upon removal from the truck.

Some of the others are delightful to be around.  They are friendly, gentle and curious.  If I was interested in a draft horse, I would love to bring a couple of these home.

The Carney family who have opened their home to these unfortunate beasts have not yet received a nickel of the promised reimbursement from the insurance company.  I am concerned that, as hay prices spiral upward in this area, they will be hurt when they need to replace the hay they are feeding today with hay they will have to purchase at escalated prices in the weeks ahead.  These are very generous and patient people.  They are demonstrating the kind of character I have always seen in them.

David Skofstad
dbs54neigh@earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.