msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Question from a newby

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Thor Burfine" <thor@inspectra.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Question from a newby
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:45:38 -0500

There are lots of little training courses that you can take.
I would start with Land Nav (compass work) and Landmark Identification.

For this I would get with the local Boy Scout or Girl Scout troop
For the basics, then the next would be the National Guard for more advanced
Training if you want to go that far.

The first rule in SAR is "Don't become a victim".

If you can do land nav then no matter where you go on a deployment
You will always be able to navigate your team out to a safe point.

Next, go talk to the Fire Department, ask if you can join them in a few
of their urban SAR classes. The VFD where I live will let anybody in the
course
However they only allow the class room work and not the hands on, for
insurance reasons.