msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] training response from Dana in Kansas

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Joan Pottinger <j.pottinger@insightbb.com>, Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] training response from Dana in Kansas
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:05:42 -0700 (PDT)

Joan, this site is a great way to learn and you will get responses from many experienced folks.  What I have learned as a new person in your position is contact any units nearby that this site refers you to.  Since the most active SAR group near me is Kansas search dogs and a Sherriff's posse in Missouri, I am learning from them and hope to attend a NASAR training sometime.  Most of us can't travel easily either due to jobs, children, pets, finances or all of the above.

This website has recommended I purchase the book, Fundamentals of SAR from the NASAR.org website and I will get a copy for each member of the small team we start.  Ideally, we need at least 4 riders to attempt a search.  The Search dog group would like me to have had a First aid and CPR class, completed two classes that can be done mostly online, I believe, called NIMS 100 and 700.  (NIMS stands for National Incident Command System), and complete SAR tech II.  As a nurse, I have first aid and CPR current and was able to get NIMS training free through our local Civil Air Patrol as a member.  Find out if NIMS is required by your local emergency manager or law enforcement to be asked to participate, like it is in Kansas.

The final hurdle will be to get SAR tech II done on my own time and complete the testing when it is offered maybe this fall.  I hope this helps.  Dana

Joan Pottinger <j.pottinger@insightbb.com> wrote:
Live in Louisville, Ky and have a group of riders very interested in getting trained for SAR.  Anyone know where to look for the training in this area or how to even get started?

Thanks,

Joan and the Zoo Crew
One horse
Three dogs