msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Overnight activities--keep working

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Overnight activities--keep working
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:17:45 -0500

The biggest problem with working at night is rider confidence. Many riders stop at dark when pleasure riding or even when on an endurance ride.  We are striving to work until the radio batteries die. Working at night means being able to night adapt your vision (the horse’s is usually fine) and work without supplementary lighting on the trail. One of our members actually leads moonlight tours of a local park every full moon night.

There is a difference between working at night and camping overnight.  The local fire and public works people can supply all the lights you could ask for, and now there are battery powered light towers that will last overnight so the generator engines don’t keep you up, but we try to be out in the field if possible.  You must get a look at the terrain and the get a feel for the locals’ reaction to you moving around at night.  If your personnel have the confidence in themselves and their mounts they should ride all night, hopefully the subject will be tired and stop moving part of the shift and you might catch up with him.

Irv Lichtenstein