msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR criteria, effective use

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR criteria, effective use
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 20:08:57 -0700

Doug, ASTM international standards are under development for MSAR. (Taking longer than expected, but now moving forward again.) Going forward, expect there will be Typing at the national level. Meanwhile there are a few states with MSAR standards. In general, what to expect is to train to be SAR (ASTM F2209 - essentially NASAR SARtech II or equivelant) ... then add knowledge, skills and abilities needed for MSAR.

VA recently did a review and rewrite of their state MSAR standards. I don't know if they are online. CA has statewide mutual aid guidelines - do what you want in your own county, but for mutual aid meet X expectations - for most SAR resources. Copies of CA Mutual Aid Guidelines are on:
http://www.oes.ca.gov/Operational/OESHome.nsf/Content/A3F586FD13D795C788256B7B0029BBFF?OpenDocument There may be other states with MSAR standards, Typing, etc., at the state level.

State level is the best overview for MSAR minimum standards expected for normal area of operations that include mutual aid. Use that minimum as a foundation to build on, then add what else may be needed as a local requirement. (For example, my county's requirements exceed state level because we have a primary response area that includes SAR in steep, remote mountain terrain at high elevation.)

If you need some ammunition to take to your superiors regarding the potential effectiveness of MSAR, feel free to hand them a copy (or email a link) of any of my published articles found on www.ceoates.com/msar

~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR
www.ceoates.com/msar

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Reynaud
[...] i 'm an empolyee of Santa Clara County Open Space Authority and have been assigned to compile information in order to formulate accepted mounted patrol criteria . I have in the past been involved in formulating volunteer patrol guide lines for State and County Parks, but this project is to develope a with agency program . My superiors are not horse people they do not speak the language and see the need to become aquainted with (In their words Federal Standards) I believe that formal Fed Standards went by the wayside with the Cavlrey. The msar project seems like a good forum to to obtain info. I would appreciate any leads on obtaining criterias developed by any organized mounted units. Thank You Doug