msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Oregon

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Randy Nelson <randy@jackson-county-sheriffs-posse.org>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Oregon
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 13:09:06 -0700 (PDT)

True, we too have a National Park ( Crater Lake Nat. Park) and had problems last year looking for a lost boy, they did call SAR, but took them almost 36 hrs to get the ok for the horse, then it took us 2 hrs to drive there, then we had to stay on paved roads, to search. took another day to get the ok to go off road with horses to search, first time any horses been in the park free to roam anywhere in 70 years.

IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN <ilichten1@verizon.net> wrote:
All of Pennsylvania is volunteer SAR and over 90% of the fire and most of the EMS ia also.  That didn’t stop us from adopting ICS statewide over 10 years ago and NIMS last year.  All our responses involve multiple jurisdictions, multiple agencies, and often several agencies claim jurisdiction over the same land.  For instance, we have a national park that is concurrently under two townships (in two different counties), the state police, and the National Park Service and the FBI often shows up because it is a federal reservation and in sight of a major defense contractor’s plant.  All our state parks are under the jurisdiction of the township, state, and the state park rangers (who are accredited peace officers).  In most of the suburbs the local cops turn it over to the volunteer fire company, and then they call SAR resources.

Without the use of unified command and ICS we would have the biggest mess ever seen.  And there is no law in Pennsylvania giving any one agency authority to look for missing or lost persons. Consider yourself lucky that the sheriff is in charge by statute, saves a lot of arguments.

Irv Lichtenstein