msar-riders - [MSAR] Fwd: Re: Your EPM experience

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Fwd: Re: Your EPM experience
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

Dave S. asked for this and a few others, so here is what I have learned.  A couple of things I forgot to mention:  my vet told me pasture horses do not get EPM nearly as often as stalled horses possibly because they can choose their grass/hay.  In a stall they are hungry and may be forced to "clean up" hay they may not eat otherwise.  The other is nutrition and keeping them strong with regular, but not intense exercise is helpful.  Show horses may get more recurrences from stress.

Next, I believe refined sugars in excess, ie sweet feeds can hinder immunity just as it can humans.  Look for lower sugar feeds, more natural grains or senior pellets with some of the higher quality ingredients like flax, ricebran, probiotics ("good" bacteria), but the best water, pasture and hay you can get are still key.  I wish I had my own place sometimes!

  Finally, I am not only converting my halters to the breakable leather crown, but going to try a device called a Safe-T that has an elastic buckle.  It sounds as though it may give a bit first, which may help calm a frightened horse, then it should break first.  This is supposed to leave a working rather than broken halter.  I will let you know if it helps.  Take care.

Note: forwarded message attached.