msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Anyone who needs support with an EPM horse is welcome toemail

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Tracy Helget" <helget@flynthyllsgypsy.com>
  • To: dbs54neigh@earthlink.net, "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Anyone who needs support with an EPM horse is welcome toemail
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 15:17:15 -0700 (PDT)

Dana:

I'd like to hear what you have discovered for prevention also.

I, too, have suffered through EPM (we've talked before). My old guy is
still living, and in relatively good health. He's 22, contracted EPM 5
years ago. Some sources say it can flare up again, other sources say no. I
worry about him all the time.

I have noticed this last year the winters are harder on him. He is out to
pasture with the herd and does okay until my daughter's Percheron decides
to bully him. He was in with the Gypsy mares until he started chasing the
new one. Figured that meant he was well enough to be with the "big kids."

It is heart breaking to see him sometimes. He so wants to work and play
with his people, but he can do only light work and activities. I feel
fortunate he is well enough for some activities.

Tracy

Tracy Helget
Flynt Hylls Gypsy Horses
helget@flynthyllsgypsy.com
785-770-2053
Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a
game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and,
once it has done so, she will have to accept that her life will be
radically changed - Ralph Waldo Emerson