msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Message 10 from Chuck: Mounted Police Competition

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: JEANRDH@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Message 10 from Chuck: Mounted Police Competition
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:35:02 EDT

Chuck Daniel wrote:
I thought I would start a new thread and invoke some comments on Mounted Police Competition.  Our group will be sending four riders to the Lake Metro Parks this weekend for Mounted Police Competition.  The two day event is judged on the individual/horse and team competition.  Obstacles include tarps with cans & plastic bottles, bridges, smoke pots, popcorn machine (machine filled with empty soda cans), drags, gates, car wash, push through, cage balls and so on.  All events are timed.  We have been practicing this for the last several months each Thursday.  The practices keeps our horses desensitized to manmade items, something all MSAR need.  Any other groups participate in competition?

Chuck Daniel
VP KVMSAR
KD8EIL
CERT
Chuck,
Where is Lake Metro?  I am a Mounted Patrol member in Minnesota.  We have a state-wide spring clinic with competition and a regional fall competition in Sept. here in Minnesota.  I usually attend for the training aspect, but have begun competing.  We bring in nationally renown trainers.  Both events have individual competition and team (3 members) competition.  Usually a MSAR scenario is acted out or skills incorporated into the competition as well as a sensory course, which is timed.  A little info and a few pictures can be seen at:

Regarding Terry Nowacki's Air Scenting Horse book, it is nicely organized with a training log.  Not expensive for what it provides.  Terry has a new book coming out on equine sign language and communication that I got a couple of weeks ago.  It is sitting on my desk waiting to be read.  I know that it is about the signals our horses give us - many things that we overlook or write off, that may very well be valid alerts during MSAR.  I look forward to reading it when I can spend the time.  Both of his books have logs or interactive areas for us to fill in, which I appreciate.
Jean Fredlund  RDH
Warrant Officer, Dakota County Sheriff's Mounted Patrol
MN Sheriff's Mounted Posse Association
Search, Rescue, and Recovery Resources of MN

See what's free at AOL.com.

  • Re: [MSAR] Message 10 from Chuck: Mounted Police Competition, JEANRDH, 05/17/2007