msar-riders - [MSAR] Hopefully, final word on helmet vs hat discussion

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Hopefully, final word on helmet vs hat discussion
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:37:09 -0700 (PDT)

Although we will all hold onto our opinions, I feel riding without a helmet is a risk noone should take nor do I want anyone in my group to compromise their life or the team for a preventable injury.  There is a large body of experts that prove a helmet is safer and much of this has already been posted on this website.  As an adult,  young people notice when we are consistent with safety.   I am never without a helmet when mounted and often retrieve horses from the pasture with my helmet on just in case.  The hospital staff I worked with would never let me forget if I did.

I worked in an ER for too many years.  The majority of horse-related head injuries/fatalities we saw were not wearing helmets even those on the ground.  The same goes for motorcyclists.  If appropriate, we would humor the "survivor" that one should spend as much on their helmet as he/she can afford, or their head is worth!  There are so many lighter, more comfortable helmets that it makes no sense to me to take such risks because there are too many others we cannot control while riding.  Have a great week!  Dana

  • [MSAR] Hopefully, final word on helmet vs hat discussion, ALLEN SNYDER, 05/16/2007