msar-riders - [MSAR] View from the Next of Kin to a sign of the times.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] View from the Next of Kin to a sign of the times.
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:46:46 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:17:40 -0700
From: "Hal Sikes" <halsikes@hotmail.com>
Subject: [MSAR] View from the Next of Kin to deceased SAR victim
To: "Discussion list for Search and Rescue" <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>
Cc: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

Don't recall this as being previously posted and apologize if it was -
but some insight from a family member as to some of what went wrong on
the James Kim search.

-->>>rest of message scrubbed for space...

Interesting overview Hal!  Having recently sent a  new horse up to a gal up in Canada who lost a family member in a horrible accident who was on horseback on a blind logging road where the horse and rider were wiped of the road by a logging truck while they were trying to round up lose cattle,  your message rings clear and hits home.  Both the horse and the rider of my gal up in Canada were killed instantly and there was no search nor any rescue.

It all makes me wonder too that as horsemen all here with a common cause, wouldn't it be a benefit to all if we could all make it a personal campaign to get horsecrossing signs in the areas of roadways we ride?  We all have gone the go arounds with safety and helmets and what to carry in our packs, but how many of us have gone the gamet to get a horsecrossing sign posted in the area they ride in?  Afterall, visibility is a key in safetey.  If we ride in a given area, we need to get these areas posted for our own safety as well as for those on the road.

I, for one live on a very busy highway, the traffic flies beyond the legal limits.  It is a dangerous stretch of road for horsemen crossing as well as drivers driving because we also have a huge population of deer here and no less a common area where farm animals from a nearby ranch seem to escape. And it is a stretch of roade that has seen many accidents.

I have contacted my state highway commision to seek out such signs.  I hope some of you will contact yours and get it done!  Hopefully it will keep some of us out there in the saddle out there a lot longer!

K. Nesbitt
VSMAR -
Iroquois County
Illinois

(My best mount just turned 27....she is a recent survivor of West Nile and has been my faithful companion for 25 wonderful years.    I have had the pleasure of many challenges with her underneath me and her time has come where she is  now mainly retired to pasture...I can fully understand the loss of any good partner as I am sadly growing into the inevitable loss of mine....Her granddaughter and great grand daughter have a long way to go to catch up to her caliber. I have had the great pleasure of many wonderful moments and the pleasure of her foals! )

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

  • [MSAR] View from the Next of Kin to a sign of the times., Karen Nesbitt, 04/20/2007