msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] new group

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] new group
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:34:53 -0700

Becky wrote:
>I looked through the past year's postings and didn't find exactly what I was
>looking for (and maybe what I'm looking for isn't out there!)

here over the years. Irv Lichtenstein has been posting details of
his second new unit startup in PA. Rather than browse subjects,
you can do a web search on our archive. Here is an example URL,
using Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=msar+new+unit+site%3Alists.ibiblio.org&btnG=Search

On MSAR-Riders, we talk about "unit" when we mean the organizational
unit. "team" has too many meanings; organization, specialty squad,
field operational team, individual rider and mount.

>We are just starting up a new MSAR group (or trying) in southwest Iowa, as
>we detected a need for this type of group in western Iowa, eastern Nebraska
>and Northwest Missouri.

Excellent!

>What are our first steps?

Depends on what is expected of you in Iowa. From what I see on the
Internet, in Iowa a SAR unit can be either sponsored by a county
sheriff's office (hence called out through that office, etc.), or
through a county emergency management office, or independent. The
sheriff's office is the most traditional arrangement, independent
units have been a growing trend for many years (thanks to pagers,
cell phones and the Internet), and emergency management is the very
latest development.

Your very first step should be to talk to other SAR groups already
established in Iowa. Ask them how they are organized and how they
operate in Iowa, do they see any big changes on the horizon, etc.

Some websites to look at:

http://www.isark9.org/
http://www.star1.org/
http://www.iowahomelandsecurity.org/asp/CoEM_FR/usar.asp

Then do the same research for Nebraska and Missouri. (And let me
know what you find out, please. Nebraska in particular is a blank
spot on my mental SAR map.)

>We have several EMTs, EMT instructors and First Responders in the
>group who can train the rest, but what about certification?

SAR certification does not appear to be on the radar in Iowa. You
can take a class and pass a test, or just pass the test, from NASAR.
(NASAR calls the result a certification, but NASAR is not an agency.)
Or get training from another SAR training organization. Perhaps the
Iowa homeland security office? Or go online and take self-study
classes (FEMA). You can even do New Mexico's basic SAR curriculum.
Or read some books...

If your organization will need to manage the SAR mission by itself
(as opposed to being called by in-place SAR mission management),
you need people trained in SAR management, for starters. And all
SAR units need people trained in SAR field techniques. EMT and FR
training concerns the rescue part of the job; in many typical SAR
missions, most of the person-hours are devoted to the search part
of the job and there can be no rescue until the search succeeds.

>Do we need to incorporate?

Short answer: no.

I've done a lot of research in this area and I can safely say most
SAR units don't bother incorporating. And many if not most US units
that do incorporate don't bother applying for status as a nonprofit
(usually but not always 501(c)(3)) with the IRS. We have discussed
that here too; Google our archives!

>What about government grants to help set up and purchase equipment and
>training?

First you'll need to identify the equipment and training you need.
Then figure out if you need to buy what you need. Many units don't
bother applying for grants. Often they can get much of what they
need from their county sheriff's office or some other local public
service agencies, simply by asking for it.

>I keep seeing a lot of abbreviated titles of things, but no definitions.

Which ones?

>Please, send me an email if you can offer any help!

May I suggest keeping any such discussions here? That would benefit
our many other readers in the same position, now and for years into
the future.

Last but not least, Welcome to MSAR-Riders!