msar-riders - [MSAR] Horse Cavalry Detachment Fort Hood TX (UNCLASSIFIED)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Proteau, James E SSG 1CD HHC ENG BDE ADE CONS (PKI)" <james.proteau@us.army.mil>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Horse Cavalry Detachment Fort Hood TX (UNCLASSIFIED)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:45:41 -0600

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Caveats: NONE

Mrs. Smith please excuse the tardiness of my reply I have been out of the net

I was trying to send the original message to Mrs. Lee Farren she wrote a article on "Cavalry Horses and the American Indian Wars" and I was wanting to post it in full on our web page

As for introducing my self on the MSAR I think I could mange that though we are not search and rescue riders we are a ceremonial unit for the United States Army.

The 1st Cavalry Division, Horse Cavalry Detachment, based at Fort Hood, Texas, is the last permanently-staffed and fully-funded mounted cavalry unit in the United States Army. The mission of the Detachment is three-fold: To represent the 1st Cavalry Division and the U.S. Army in public appearances throughout the country; to assist in recruiting by demonstrating the professionalism of today's soldier; and to maintain the proud traditions forged by the cavalry in our country's colorful history.

There is at least one soldier manning the Detachment's barn 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You are welcome to stop by and take a tour of our facilities at any time. You don't have to actually enter the Ft Hood Gate, so you won't need a vehicle pass and our facilities are open to the public.

Since its inception in 1972, the Detachment has appeared in 3 Presidential Inaugural Parades, six Tournament of Roses Parades, the 1984 World's Fair, and literally thousands of state and local fairs, parades, and rodeos. The Detachment participates in both formal and informal parades and reviews, provides VIP tours for distinguished guests of the 1st Cavalry Division, makes a variety of appearances’ designed to inform or amuse the public, and conducts a 30-minute mounted drill and weapons demonstration (our signature performance).

The mounted demonstration is a thrilling exhibition of the skill and precision required of a trooper while mounted. It includes drill maneuvers at the walk, trot, and gallop followed by demonstrations of the use of the Model 1860 Light Cavalry Saber, M1873 Colt Revolver (commonly known as "the Peacemaker"), and the M1873 Springfield Trapdoor-Model Carbine. The Detachment's demonstration team arrives on-site complete with eleven troopers and mounts, a muleskinner and swampier with mule team, an M1878 Escort Wagon, an M1841 Light Mountain Howitzer, and a dedicated ground support staff. No outside personnel or equipment is required in order for us to conduct one of our demonstrations. The Detachment is flexible and can adjust its performances to create almost any effect. The unit requires an area about the size of a football field for its mounted cavalry demonstrations.

Thank you for your time

http://pao.hood.army.mil/1stcavdiv/horseDet/default.html

SSG James Proteau II

Horse Cavalry Detachment