msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] more on NAIS

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Mustang Blue <mustang_blue_wy@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] more on NAIS
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:01:30 -0800 (PST)

I recently received an email (in blue) from naisfromtheshorsesmouth yahoogroup and wanted to pass it along.  I have added more information below it. Don't get me wrong Susan, I'm not against microchipping, it could be an invaluable tool, as Stolen Horse International (www.netposse.com) has proven beyond any doubts. However, I cannot and will not support anything else NAIS stands for. My veterinarian whose been in practice over 30 years stated if it goes through, he will close his doors. I too, will sell before I "volunteer" mandatarily!  THere is NO reason why states cannot continue to use brand inspecting, a service that has worked for many a year and is non-intrusive like the NAIS is. Please read on...........

Find your own state.  NY is #8 nationally for premises registration? ???  NOT VOLUNTARILY, that's for sure.
http://animalid. aphis.usda. gov/nais/ naislibrary/ documents/ plans_reports/ NAIS_Prem_ Stat_Report. pdf
Make sure you save this for to your hard drives.
_,_._,___

For WY members, here is the link to the Wyoming Livestock Board:
http://wlsb.state.wy.us/brands/Premises/index.htm
& for WY horse owners:  http://wlsb.state.wy.us/EID.htm

But please think twice beforse volunteering! Once you are in, there's no getting back out.
Don't be fooled with their sugar coated lies trying to convince us NAIS won't be mandatory, they are just passing the buck down to individua; states claining it will be voluntary only, but consider this...it is quite possible that if states do not comply and get 100%, I fear that state funding is likely to be cut.  But that is my own personal opinion.

Here is an email I recently received:
(I highlighted and underlined 1 section in yellow for your UTMOST attention)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:08:53 -0700
Subject: NAIS is not dead yet
"Hi Lona,

I know that you are opposed to NAIS, as am I.  I got some interesting emails
today on it.  One included this portion of "an article published in several
farming journals  titled :

'Knight Aims to Revive Animal Identification Efforts':

Members of the House  Agriculture Committee are expected to size
up the animal identification  picture during oversight hearings in the next
few weeks. Thus far, House Agriculture  Committee Chairman Collin Peterson
is convinced that a mandatory approach is  the only way to go.
³We¹ve spent close to $100 million and we don¹t have a  hell of a lot to show for it,²
he noted during the AFBF convention two weeks  ago.
³We may have more livestock, but the Australians spent about $10
million  and the Canadians spent $6 million (to get their systems in place).
It seems  that we should be done by now.²" "

If you're unfamiliar with NAIS or what it will mean to YOU, visit www.NoNais.org
Don't be fooled by Government sugar-coating...Please read the users gude IN FULL.

If you haven't seen the User Guide, I've attached the PDF, or you can find and download the PDF version at :
http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/naislibrary/userguide.shtml.

For a hotmail version, go to:
http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/naislibrary/documents/instructions_guidelines/User_Guide.html