msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 48, Issue 2

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Kimberly Kelly <sarlady@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 48, Issue 2
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:11:30 -0800 (PST)

A mare I have ridden since 1989 for a variety of events (gymkhana, barrels, stunts, SAR, parades, etc) is notorious for charging in her pasture. She's never actually hit anyone or anything, and seemed to direct the vast majority of that behavior to my ex-husband (lol!). For her, it seems to be a dominance and play issue - charge dad, and veer away at the last moment. She was/is also the smartest horse I've ever had the pleasure to have - which could also be a total pain. Figuring out locks, remembering patterns, etc.

Again, she's never actually struck anyone, but she's been doing it for the 19+ years I rode her. She's 28, 29 now, and still doing it.

Kimberly Kelly