msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Risk

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Risk
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:55:05 -0700

All very good points...I was originally responding to all the discussion
about turning radius, and was simply pointing out that if you're on the edge
of a cliff where you have to be that worried about your turning radius, you
probably shoudn't be there.

If only this were true. However there are times when it's not a realistic scenario. For example if you are following a high mountain trail that you've been assigned to but with which you are unfamiliar and you must cross a section that is a ledge on a cliffside. You get most of the way across and realize the trail ahead is washed out. What do you do? I can think of a few other instances where you might find yourself in a tight spot that you wouldn't normally choose to be in! The work we do does have inherent risks. We do all we can to minimize those risks. The risks for each geographic region are different. It's best to prepare for the risks you can reasonably expect to face in your area. In my area narrow steep trails, cliffs, ledges...are all part of the expected terrain.

Chris Pennington