msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: msar-astm@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:31:22 -0400

MSAR-Riders,

I would like to revisit this topic from a few weeks ago, and
hear what others think about Chris' post, copied below. It is
very relevant to standards, in that the underlying question
is: should we define one very specific but arbitrary test for
all MSAR to pass, or should we define an abstract performance
objective and leave it to each user to prescribe how to meet
the performance objective?

The user of a standard would be any of the following: MSAR
unit (specifically, its training officer), an agency having
jurisdiction (AHJ), any training and/or testing organization,
and others.

In the case of turning around in a confined space,

1. An example of an arbitrary test would be the AQHA Trail
Class show rules for turning around inside a square marked
on the ground.

2. An example of a performance objective would be something
like "turn around in a confined space, the dimensions of
which to be specified by the user". Something to consider
here is: should we even specifiy turn around, or should the
objective be to exit at the entrance point? Ie, allow turn
around *or* back out?

I am Cc'ing this to MSAR-ASTM, but request replies go only
to MSAR-Riders.