msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Training
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:19:31 -0400

Terrence J McCormick wrote:
>In reading about the standards to be developed for MSAR I keep hearing
>about " turning a horse within a confined space". Does anyone have a
>definition of, or dimensions of, such a confined space?

Note that defined standards may be as abstract as "turn around
within a prescribed space", without prescribing the dimensions
of the space. Leaving that to the user, who may choose a more
or less difficult specific test that meets the standard.

That said, I think the most common test involves a box painted
or dragged on the ground, or bounded by 2x4s or ground poles.
Typical dimensions are a square or rectangle, approximately 6x6
feet or larger. This is not a 3-dimensional space test, but
an easier 2-dimensional area test: the horse's head, neck,
and limbs can extend outside the boundary, provided the horse
does not put a foot down outside. I have also seen an obstacle
course using large (100 pound) straw bales tiled to form a box
with high walls and a narrow entrance. *That* was a confined
space test!

I have on occasion turned my horse 180 degrees on a trail no
wider than 3 feet. I know it can be done in an even narrower
area, but that is hard on the horse and may be dangerous too.

The AQHA handbook, chapter on show rules (*) page 191 (in
section 454 on Trail classes) states:

An obstacle consisting of four logs or rails, each
5' to 7' (1.5 to 2.1 meters) long, laid in a square.
Each contestant will enter the square by riding over
log or rail as designated. When all four feet are
inside the square, rider should execute a turn, as
indicated, and depart.

* http://www.aqha.com/association/registration/pdf/06completeshowrules.pdf

Other organizations probably have similar written guidelines
for this type of obstacle. If you know of any others, please
mention them!