msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Reflective / Safety gear

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Reflective / Safety gear
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:58:40 -0400

There is a difference between just riding at night and working at night or
even during the day.
At night we occasionally defer the visibility because the area is closed at
dusk and sticking out gets you a ticket from the friendly park ranger or at
least a "get along home, NOW".

When working a job your management team must secure the areas involved. This
means cordoning off the base camp, closing roads, putting out construction
style warning signs as well as wearing high visibility clothes. If we are
working a park we can have the rangers, police, special fire police, or
whoever is available man the gates, hand out fliers, and warn people about
search operations if not just close and lock the barriers. In farm areas or
rural communities where sight lines are usually bad you can park a marked
vehicle at intersections or curves and tops of hills. This aids
containment, attraction, communications, and reduces the speed of the
traveling public, sometimes.

But you still have to be alert and that is why multi-person teams are
needed. At least one team member should be watching the others backs at all
times. There are advantages to riding a black horse at night and there are
disadvantages during the poaching season.