msar-riders - [MSAR] Red Ribbons

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Red Ribbons
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:50:29 -0400

[Deleted HTML duplicate, added In-Reply-To header. -Una]

From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: [MSAR] Thanks for the bombproofing info and about dogs
To: MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org

>>portion message deleted for space...>>>

One of the advantages of hunting is it is potentially rigorous riding
and good for fitness of horse and rider. For safety, it is expected
that horses who may kick or strike when another horse is close, wear a
red ribbon tied or braided into the tail as a reminder.

Do MSAR groups have any proposed standard to identify greener or more
anxious horses to riders that may be following?

-------------------------------------------->>>>

Allen, in reference to the above and regarding the RED ribbons in tails, it
is customary for riders of any large group to use that method of warning if
you are riding a green horse or especially one that is prone to kicking. It
would not be advisable to deviate from the custom as it is one most horse
owners have long respected. A.green horse is also a matter of rider
interpretation.

It would also not be advisable to ride a horse lacking in certain abilities
for certain duties for safety sake however when it comes to an all out call
and those may be the ones available for duty and one has no choice in
excepting what is available. So common sense is the key. I myself am in a
transition period...My current mount is 26 years old and I am starting a new
filly. All horses have different abilities.

In a case of a nasty dog that one might encounter on the trail, caution and
slow movements is advised. Speed activates dogs into a fight where as slow
movements are more readily acceptable to the hound to avoid provoking an
atttack, however this is not always the case. Dogs customarily will greet
another dog by sniffing their rear.

Horses will use whatever method in their power to take on or avoid their
foe when they
feel they are threatened (and it may make no difference on how well one is
trained if the threat is justified to the horse.) Be it striking or kicking
and some horses will rear.

I have a mare that was attacked by needless to say one of my own dogs. He
was a pup, but all the same big and he had a dislike for that mare and had
attacked her in her stall while his sibling tried to get him off the horse.
(Go figure!) Needless to say we ended up putting the male dog down as he
came away with a damaged skull from the horse while the horse inturn had her
hind legs bite up. As for the horse, she will kick or strike at a dog that
she has good reason not to trust. She will pin her ears a certain way which
I have learned to read over the many years with her when she feels
threatened, but she also pins as a bluff.

As a former mailcarrier, we were schooled not to trust any dog no matter
how well it is trained or behaving in our deliveries. Since we handle so
many objects in the mail oders are a key element in setting off any dog and
since we are visitors to the dogs territory, we are not always welcome guests
and that theory might be applied to your training horses and dogs. Mace in
the dogs face is nto alwasy a good option. Worse yet, mace in your own is
worse especially when you have missed the dog.

Never assume that just because the fella standing over there with his
search dog that the search dog is alwasy going to be well behaved. Animals
anmd people are alwasy subject to reaction and never assume your horse will
never ever kick.

I ride a lot of country roads and therefore have had confrontations on
horseback with many dogs and not all of them are owned by someone nor has all
confrontations been pleasant.. My best advise to avoid an issue with a
foreign loose dog while on horseback is to be cautious if the dog is
approaching from the front and go slow at a walk talking to the dog and
giving reassurance to your steed. If you have been attacked from the rear or
the dog has come up unexpectedly from the rear depending if you are aware of
the dog is how you can handle this. I have had instances whereby if the dog
just was tagging along, ignor him, but keep an eye on him for changes inhis
attitude. If you have been charged by the dog stop and have your horse face
the animal and back out slowly. Most dogs are intimidated by a horse facing
them but sure as shooting, most farm dogs are chase dogs so go slow and gain
your distance gradually while trying to leave the dogs turf. I have had
instances
whereby I would have to spin the horse as if to pounce on the dog to also
get the dog to back off.

Never assume that just becasue you own a dog and ahorse, that all dogs like
every horse and viceversa.

There are strong state laws reqarding dogs attacking including that of
attacking, maming, harassing, worrying etc.. livestock. One would be best
advised to research those laws in your state to see what they are.

On the subject of dogs it is best to learn about the breed before
acquitring the dog. They each have a job or special purpose that might make
that dog a better candidate for you. Where I prefer to work with blue
heelers, someone else may like dobermans. Hair can be an issue, talent is
an issue and the dogs working status within the breed and for the intended
job are all issues.

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - unaffiliated
Iroquois county