msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] State MSAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] State MSAR Standards
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:44:25 -0400

Thanks for your response, I will add California to my list. Although informative, I am not concerned with local, county or projected standards at this time, as trying to identify what States have current MSAR Standards.
FYI: I am meeting with Mark again this weekend. Most of the changes deal with NIMS compliance and the inclusion of (ground) field team members standards for all specialty units. The equine sections were updated earlier in the year and will not need to be modified any time soon, unless VASARCo subject matter expects deem otherwise, as VDEM does not set the standards. Feel free to contact me off list if you would like a complete update VDEM and VASARCo changes, as our mounted team has been a member of the Council for many years now. ;-)

Thanks,

Tomi`

From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>

With the recent discussion about standards, I was wondering how many
(and which) States have published MSAR standards in place. In Virginia
there is a complete set of search and rescue standards that are
maintained by the Virginia Search and Rescue Council (VASARCo) and
equine standards are included.

The VA State SAR Coordinator, Mark Eggeman, mentioned to me in May that he sees a need for revisions in the state MSAR standards. (We had other hot topics to discuss at the time and didn't discuss what those state MSAR revisions might entail or when it might occur.)

CA has existing statewide mutual aid guidelines for MSAR.

Several State SAR Coordinators and many county SAR Management from around the country have asked me about the status of the Mounted SAR standards through ASTM. A couple of State SAR Coordinators indicated they currently do not have MSAR in their state, but hope to develop MSAR teams using ASTM standards.