msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Western cowboy hat helmet

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Western cowboy hat helmet
  • Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 09:08:44 -0700

Troxel Sierra
http://www.troxelhelmets.com/products/features.php?ProductID=31#

This is a brand new helmet and the Troxel rep I've been speaking with says it's Troxel's response to the demand for a more western styled helmet. I don't think it is necessarily western in style - more Aussie if anything. Looks a bit like a polo helmet in some respects. However it is not a plastic surface- it is leather and canvas. Now that is good and bad. I LOVED the fit and feel of this helmet but I haven't bought one for two main reasons - 1. I am concerned about the dirt and grime that will be picked up by the material especially if I have to do any riding in the rain and then put my helmet down or hang it on the horn as I often do. 2- there is a silky material lining the interior. This still provides for great ventilation (believe me I made them prove this to me!) but I am concerned about bits of this and that (leaves, twigs, pine needles) getting stuck in this lining. So I'm choosing to wait a year with it out on the market to see if they do any redesigning. <G> BUT it looks much better than any of the other helmets! I currently have a Dakota that I love except it has a large profile- the Sierra's profile is smaller.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR