msar-riders - [MSAR] AID BUCKETS AND PORTI POTS!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] AID BUCKETS AND PORTI POTS!
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:00:25 -0500

[Edited attribution and format of quote, deleted HTML duplicate.
-Una]

Chris Pennington wrote:
>Great post Karen! I'm still thinking and digesting everything but I did
>want to share something with you about storing things in a 5 gal
>bucket.

(BULK of post deleted for space!)

Thanks Chris. Been doing it that way for many years! My previous teachers
have been competitive and endurance and long distance trail rides! My show
days are long over, but we still would pack it. Toss in some water
purification tabs, one of those tin camping mess kits, some sponges and a bar
of ivory soap too.

Since we always would use a two horse trailer you know the fun of packing
things in a rounded space and when it comes to the order of packing things
well you need the first aid stuff handy so that goes in the tack compartment
last. The nice thing about the bucket is it is water tight too so if you had
to and the situation required and you had to cross a stream, you could take
the bucket and that is one time my horn would then be occupied. Nylon packs
have a tendency to get soggy when you need absolute dry! I have had it
where I have brought in four of those buckets they are great for feed and
more!

There are a few things we can also add to the gear in OUR trailer... like
a pair of crutches Lord knows many a cowboy with a bad knee or two! And
Lord knows things can get more involved than just a little 8 x 5 aid kit when
you deal with horses and the wilderness. Things can get entertaining too
when you carry a crutch on a horse or even have to use them to walk! So
there is a great area to have your horse be prepared! Same with the bucket
(or a trash bag) on the horn! Some beasts just do not understand why "MOM"
is walking with 2 more legs!!! And that plastic trash bag...well get ready
to rodeo!

I probably ought to retrack a comment a tad when I say bottom line "if"its
no good to you if you do not know how to use it, but in a group when you
assess the gear of those who are there, even things that you do not know how
to use may come in handy for some one else. But it does seem to me that
since when you camp or trailer out with horses, you are traveling light so
there for it only makes sense to take what YOU PERSONALLY know how to use!
All trips are packed heavy and end up ligh regardless.t.

I envy the rest in things I do not know, but as a team, when groups come
together it is good to know that no matter what each our own skills are, we
need to assess the weakness of the team to also find the strenghts before
hitting the trail and that woudl be priority one when first arriving at the
base. You might be better with rescuing people, someone else may be better
with animals...

Our first aid kit here has grown and is growing in equipment some due to
personal injury, others due to hey, ya ust gotta have it! And I a
civilian and am no paramedic, but I do know my equipmet and how and why I
would use it. If you and I and Irv were on a group we would probably have
each a different supply of things one thing in particular would be knowledge!
...and together we probably would do a bang up job simply because we all
have different items and different skills! I haven't the foggiest on Oxygen
tanks!

I ride alone a lot....on a joy ride don't usually carry a lot of stuff but
will always carry a radio or a cell phone.

BTW there is a way I pack my bucket of aid too especially since the puny
things will settle to the bottom, forgot another item...a drawstring pillow
case....will explain later!

Been wanting a pair of them pants and a vest with pockets on the legs like
the Marines wear...its those little things that can mean a lot. (I may tease
those folks a lot, but they do have it cooking when it comes to some the gear
and those "shined" up and camo uniforms...but I also know, sometimes we are
in a MAKE DO with what little you have type of situation and well, that is
where its at too.)

I want to repeat that personally I do not like my aid bags or bucket
advertising red cross or high colors....as for letting the group know where
its at once at camp, that is one thing...as said, we do not need gear lost or
stolen on pleasure rides. But situations can warrant high colors otherwise.

(One of the things I would love to get eventually to have in our supplies
is a wheel chair that folds...but thats another day, my motives are not all
MSAR there...!)

Karen Nesbitt
Ilinois - Unaffliated
Iroquois County

PS - we use a NEW CLEAN vynal gas can for porting water IN THE TACK
COMPARTMENT (Its marked! But don't come to my trailer looking for it as a
gas can!...my thirsty horses might take offense!)

VISIT US AT:
http://kbefarms.bravehost.com/index.html
BLOG ON:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/kbefarms/