msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Desensing and Defense

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Desensing and Defense
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 08:22:23 -0700

Irv Lichtenstein wrote:
>Regardless of the circumstance I cannot sanction training a horse to accept
>commands that involve him bumping or running over potential attackers, let
>alone striking out.

Some MSAR unit websites mention the unit seeks donated horses,
particularly retired police horses. I suppose they imagine an
experienced police horse will be a steady SAR mount. Probably,
except the police horse has some training that is positively
contrary to SAR. And special cues too. I would not dare to
put a passenger or even an experienced rider on a police horse.

In fact, I am extremely cautious about putting anyone on my
own SAR mount. She had a long career as a polo pony, and has
some special behaviors that will surprise most riders who do
not play polo. For example, she will crowd and push any other
horse at any speed. She will make very abrupt turns. She
will allow strange horses to run up her butt without so much
as pinning her ears, and will do the same to others. She has
a hair-trigger "go" button and gas pedal. She will outpace
most other horses while radiating total composure. I have put
all these behaviors to good use, wrangling organized trail
rides, but all of them could be trouble for a non-polo rider.