msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Conference planning

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Sherry Hicks" <shicks@nwinc.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Conference planning
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 20:19:31 -0500

Una, a few weeks ago our divers conducted a training session in our captain's
barn. The divers held the rope and walked a few search paterns with a line
tender directing the diver when to turn and such. They used bales of hay to
simulate rocks and debri piles. It really helped to take some of the
obscurity out of the process for those who cannot go underwater and watch. If
you have divers in your unit you might suggest the process.

As Jorene mentioned, all of our divers must be swift water rescue certified,
Swift Water I & II, because the majority of inscidents in our area are in the
TN river. Last weekend my husband was diving in 4 knots of current looking
for someone. He dives for two rescue agencies and the Hamilton County
Sherriff's Department, so he is also certified for evidence recovery.

Sherry
Chattanooga, TN