msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders SAR conference

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lyne Peterson <lyne@bryngyld.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders SAR conference
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 09:39:34 -0800 (PST)

Mickie (Walla Walla MSAR unit leader) - this is Barbara from the 2006 SAR
Conference committee.

"... We'd like any non-patrolling MSAR personnel to
have the freedom to attend classes, meet & greet without the distraction of
having to care for their animals..."

I am very reluctant to let someone make these decisions for me. Perhaps I
have taken the offered courses miriad times, or decide that my horse and I
really need the team building time, or really need some input on a training
issue. I might make the wrong decision, but please let me make my own
decisions about how I want to spend my money or spend my time.

On another note, our MSAR training always has dry horse camping available
(for no fee). This year we are instituting a numbering system where we
number the horse and trailer (and rider) when they come in. The night patrol
can then more easily return the party animals that have gone visiting. My
mare was one of those joy runners. When she was approached to try and catch
her, she sped back to the trailer and stood where she HAD been tied, I guess
trying to look like she was innocent. I'd like to say she had gone looking
for me, but the outhouse was in the opposite direction.

Lyne Peterson
Northern California

  • Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders SAR conference, Lyne Peterson, 03/02/2006