msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Conference planning

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: T'mi Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Conference planning
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:29:28 -0500

One thing that our team did during the (Virginia) 2004 NASAR Conference was to obtain permission to set up a MSAR Horse Camp. We provided a POD (lead line) mounted demonstrations where other searchers could get a saddle-eye view of what we see. At the horse camp we also set up an information booth and display table that showed what the resources we carry and provide. While inside the conference center, Jorene Downs (from CA) taught a couple of MSAR classroom courses, which made for a well rounded, informative, unified and professional MSAR presence. The camp was staffed 24/3 with 6 to 8 team members who (camped) stayed onsite. With the schedules as they were insured the camp was always staffed and also provided team members a chance to attend classes.

Maybe some preplanning and submitting a similar action plan could work for your conference. Good luck!

Tomi`
Commander
TROTSAR Mounted Team
www.trotsar.org

Una Smith wrote:

Jamie Henington wrote:

I am from Pacific County, Washington and have been able to bring my horse
the last 2 years to the Washington State SAR conference. I too was wondering
why we can't have classes for us to work with the horses in different
environments.

Jamie, same questions: at the 2004 and 2005 conferences, what
classes did you attend? How did they help you? Were they at
the conference venue (fairground), or elsewhere? How much time
did you spend looking after your horse, and did you miss any
of the conference in order to look after your horse? How was
security handled, day and night? Eg, did a member of your unit
stay with your horses, or did you padlock the horses in their
stall/pen/corral, or did the conference venue provide someone
to look after them all? Did each owner provide a cell phone
number for each horse or group of horses, in case of emergency?