msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Scenting horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Wright" <owright@internetpro.net>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Scenting horses
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:33:42 -0600

<That is exactly what a hiding "search subject" sees, when the horse
blows his cover. The rider often has no clue, but the horse has blown
the subject's cover and the subject *knows* it. A subject with a video
camera can easily demonstrate this for all to see>

I'm going to suggest that the 'lost' subject at our next SAR training
carry a video camera to show the horses' reaction! It was eye-opening
for me to watch the tape of that parade. I'm sure that scent detection
was involved here because the person filming was elbow-to-elbow in a
crowd of several thousand.
Susan W