msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses certified weed free

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Patty Montoya" <riverrider@bak.rr.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Feeding SAR horses certified weed free
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:41:28 -0800

Irv is right about the problem with weeds, or non native plants, spreading through animal droppings, although since I am a "horse person" I prefer to blame birds for spreading the "bad seeds". ;-) But just another thought about our wonderful horses enjoying the wonders of nature and grazing in the wild. Although I don't believe there is another animal as beautiful as the horse, they don't always make good choices. (Notice I didn't say they are sometimes as dumb as a log, because I wouldn't want my horses to know I said that...) But, because they will eat "almost" anything available, we need to be familiar with the toxic plants in our area. Fiddler weed is just one of many in my area and although I have been told they would have to eat about a bale to get sick, my luck my horse would take one little bite and end up keeling over. Then you have to worry about the horse who founders when you reward her by letting her graze in knee deep pasture. I'm able to control what, and how much my horses get in their pastures, but when I travel I'm always keeping my eye out to see what they can find.
Patty
----- Original Message ----- From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>