msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] PA Passes Equine Activity Liability Bill

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR Maintainer <msar@ibiblio.org>
  • To: MSAR Riders <MSAR-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] PA Passes Equine Activity Liability Bill
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 15:15:43 -0500

Rather than approve posting the bill itself, I found a link to
Pennsylvania's new equine activity liability immunity statute:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/ALL/2005/0/SB0618.HTM

The statute provides legal immunity *if* 2 or more signs, each
2x3 feet, are posted that declare "YOU ASSUME THE RISK OF
EQUINE ACTIVITIES PURSUANT TO PENNSYLVANIA LAW", and *if*
negligence is not present, and *if* the equine is not vicious.

Pennsylvania now joins a majority of US states, which already
have similar statues. Links to all states' actual statues are
given on the Equine Law and Horsemanship Safety website, here:
http://utopia.utexas.edu/project/equine/equine/equ_menu.htm
(I have alerted the webmaster to the new Pennsylvania statute
so it can be added to this menu.)

Relevance to MSAR is this. Your unit might want to consider
buying a few equine activity (non) liability signs, to display
on your vehicles in base camp during SAR missions and whenever
you train. Typically, state horse councils sell these signs;
each state's legal requirements are unique so you need a sign
specific to your state.