msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR and the use of lights

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Dwayne Russell <dwaynerussell@earthlink.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR and the use of lights
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 12:14:04 -0500

[Deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

Hello All

I should probably start off with that I am not actively engaged in MSAR
activities; however I would like your thoughts on an MSAR subject.

Since this is the first time I have posted here I should probably start with
an introduction. My name is Dwayne Russell. I am a lifetime horseman,
Nationally Registered EMT with 13 years on the ARC Disaster Team. I am a
member of the Backcountry Horseman of California and hold a gentle use
certification. I have also been fortunate to have traveled most of the US
and Canada with my horses and like many of you I bring out many a lost hiker
with me. I am also the co-owner of a company called www.saddlelights.com
<http://www.saddlelights.com/>

We manufacture a breast collar mounted lighted system for Law Enforcement
and Search and Rescue teams, as well as pleasure riders. We have tested many
different light sources and have done extensive research on equine vision to
determine the best location and use of lights on a horse. Our equipment is
in use by several local Sheriff's department mounted teams, MSAR teams, as
well as many pleasure riders.

I have noticed that there seems to be two camps when it comes to using
lights on horses. Those who swear by them and those that swear at them. I
would like to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this subject and
perhaps be able to discuss the concepts of equine vision and lighting as
there are some definite do's and don'ts.

I find all too often that most riders do not understand how a horse actually
sees and there fore causes a lot of their own problems.

Some Do's

Make sure your lighting system is mounted on your horse's breast collar.
Horses cannot see their own chest or front knees so this is a natural blind
spot for all horses. Because horses have monoctal vision it is also the only
area you can mount a light that will not be shining directly into your
horse's eyes.

Adjust the light to illuminate the area that the RIDER will be seeing
directly in front of the horse. Most horses have a blind spot (depending on
conformation and whether the horse is ridden collected or on a loose rein)
of approximately 4-6' directly in front of them. This allows the rider to
see problem areas in the trail such nails, wire, debris, wet or slippery
rock, depth of running water, etc. without extending into the area that the
horse sees both for near and far vision. And any residual light the horse
does see will remain constant.

Some Don'ts

Never use lights on yourself or saddle. This is because horses use primarily
monoctal vision to see. This means a horse can see between 160-170 degrees
off each side of his body. This is nearly 340 degrees all the way around the
horse's body. If you point a flashlight down your horses neck towards the
trail you are shining the light right into your horses eyes.

If you have to use lights to search brush and other areas you have two
options. Dismount or at least hold the light at least at a 90 degree angle
to the horses head and at an arms length to extend the light source beyond
the horse's eyes. The horse will see the illuminated area but the light will
not be shining in his eyes.

Remember that horses cannot process light changes as easily as humans. When
hit with bright light the human eye restricts quickly and opens back up
quickly. A horse's eye cannot process this change anywhere near as quickly
as a human. Thus for a moment or two the horse is essentially blinded. For
this reason flashing lights should be avoided.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the use of lights and the
development of night blindness in horses. Too often I find that it is
actually the improper use and location of lights that have caused the
problems. We have seen people tie glow sticks in the horses mane, riding
with helmet lights and flashlights, even bridle mounted lights. One person
we know of even broke open glow sticks and splashes their horses with it.
All of these can cause immediate vision problems with your horse. Use lights
properly and you will get the and be able to see the problem areas in the
trails while taking advantage of the horses better night vision.

Be kind to your equine team mate and your efforts will pay off with many
years of faithful service and good vision.

I welcome your comments and you can email me at dwaynerussell@earthlink.net