msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horse search protocal

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horse search protocal
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:19:48 -0700

Sue Watkins wrote:
>Who as the right of way, or what would be done in these situations:

The party that should be given the right of way is the party that
needs more special accomodations from others. The bigger loser,
as it were.

> Ground pounders passing horses on same trail?

Depends on the parties involved. Horses should go slow. Are the
horses likely to spook, kick, or bite? If so, I recommend packing
it in and going home. Are the walkers liable to get under foot?
If so, I recommend removing the horses from harm's way; that is
much safer than asking walkers inexperienced with horses to move
out of the way; such walkers are likely to do something not smart
like hide behind a tree, or step back into the trail immediately
behind the horses (too close for most horses' comfort).

> Motorized vehicles (4wd, ATV, etc) passing horses on same road/trail?

Go slow. Train at home for whatever the norm is in the field.
Normal here in New Mexico, in high traffic areas, is to have a
swarm of horses, trucks, ATVs, dirt bikes, etc. weaving in and
out among each other.

> Horses come into an area being searched by trailing dog? by area dog?

This could be a problem. Your first step probably should be to
get on the radio with your SAR mission management and request
clarification, as SAR management normally do not assign animal
teams to work on top of each other and if they do then I would
exect to be told in the briefing of the other team working the
same area, their task, and how to stay out of each other's way.
A trailing dog may not be searching an area, but trailing, hence
the dog team may be far outside of its assigned area. I would
stand back, radio in the sighting of the dog team, and request
new instructions.

Anyway, these are questions for you to ask local SAR management,
as they may have their own ideas how it should be done.