msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Stroke Identification

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lyne <lyne612@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Stroke Identification
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:04:38 -0800 (PST)

STROKE evaluation

S - Speak a Simple Sentence
T - Try to smile
R - Raise your arms
OK = no call, if not,
E = call Emergency 9-1-1

¸..·´¨¨))
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ . -:|:- Lyne -:|:-
((¸¸.·´
Lyne Peterson
Northern California
From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:15:54 -0800
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Disaster cross-training / Educating SAR @ MSAR

From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
> The point I was trying to make politely was that most of what we now call
> citizen's disaster training was taught in high school health classes when
> us
> old guys went to school. Maybe it was the Cold War or something else that
> motivated education then.

Us old guys? ;) I grew up with a storage shed holding many canned goods,
bottled water, etc. That was the era of Civil Defense, complete with some
folks building home bomb shelters / bunkers. The small town closest to me
still has an old Civil Defense siren that is tested daily at noon.

> If we got stuck in a disaster, whether manmade or
> natural, we could survive with what was normally in the house and even
> help
> neighbors. And we didn't expect anybody to come get us either. I see that
> times have changed and we will all be rescued by FEMA now.

Yep. In more recent decades this country has gone from encouraging
self-sufficiency to teaching folks dependency with services at their
fingertips. Many folks today appear to view the concept of self-sufficiency
as carrying a cell phone to call for whatever assistance might be needed,
from 911 to food delivery. It doesn't even occur to them they might need to
take care of themselves because phone service isn't available, or the
emergency services couldn't get there even if the call got through because
they are completely overwhelmed dealing with a gazillion other emergency
calls for help.

CERT training circles back around to the Civil Defense era when folks were
expected to help themselves and others.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

Learn about Disaster SAR-related discussion on:
www.tk-cert.org/natlsar/