msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] "ICE for Rescuers"

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] "ICE for Rescuers"
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:05:57 -0700

I like this idea and have no problem with the privacy issue. I will only
mark those numbers with ICE that I think will act appropriately if they
actually ever receive a call. I also do not see it as just an "in case
of death" action- any kind of incapacitation could require this usage.

There are many scenarios that immediately come to mind where this might
be beneficial to the subject and the responders. What about an allergic
reaction and the airwaves are swollen so the voice is affected? If the
subject isn't wearing a bracelet it'd be potentially life saving to call
an emergency contact immediately to find the offending substance. I see
its usage with teens as well. Almost every teen has a cell phone in this
day and age. Teens also tend to do stupid kid tricks- drive too fast,
drink too much, ingest strange substances. As a parent I would rather be
contacted in the beginning of a struggle rather than in the aftermath.
>From a personal standpoint ICE would give me some level of comfort. We
live in a rural area with a long mountain drive between us and many
services and attractions. My family, adults and teens, drive this
winding road frequently. There are no services for a looooong time. I've
spared some time to think about what might happen in case of an
emergency on that road- a rollover, off the side, etc- things like that
DO happen. I do NOT want to be notified from the morgue when someone
finally thinks to go through a wallet. Yet everyone in the family
carries a cell phone for emergencies- why not make sure emergency
responders can use it as well? I can think of many more instances when
this might be truly beneficial to all involved.

Ok, this is just my take on the usefulness of this new acronym to the
general public. Anything that affects the general public will affect SAR
eventually. SAR responders may choose not to use this feature but we
need to be aware of it nonetheless as others will most likely be using
it. Each team should discuss it now and decide whether or not it is
something they will check for and use.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR