msar-riders - [MSAR] Privacy Issues

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Hal Sikes" <halsikes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Discussion list for Search and Rescue" <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>
  • Cc: SD-SMART <SD-SMART@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Privacy Issues
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:23:57 -0700

Although this is not a SAR issue, it is something that affects everyone so
thought I would pass it on to use as you will.

1. I registered for the national DO NOT CALL registry when it first came
out - but still continue to get unwanted calls! Finally found the website
to check and make sure your telephone numbers are in fact on the list.

If you go to https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx you can verify whether
or not your phone numbers are part of the lists - OR - you can register your
phone numbers through this site. If your numbers are registered, but you
continue to receive calls you call file a formal complaint through this
site.

2. Pre-approved Credit Offers and unwanted solicitation mail - these can be
stopped by either calling 1-888-567-8688 OR by going to the Opt Out website
at www.optoutprescreen.com . This will remove your name from the mailing
lists sold by the 4 major credit bureaus. You can choose to opt out
permanently or for a 5 year period.

3. Free Credit Reports - Although there are several websites that claim to
offer "free credit reports", most are simply ruses to get you to sign up for
their "credit watch" services and then give you a copy of a report for only
one of the major credit bureaus. Federal Law allows you to obtain one free
credit report from Experian, Equifax and Trans Union every year. You can
order these free reports by calling 1-877-322-8228 or by going to the web
site www.annualcreditreport.com .

Hal Sikes