msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] LOGS - Radio Log Form

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Raskin, Larry" <Lawrence.Raskin@jhuapl.edu>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] LOGS - Radio Log Form
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:32:28 -0400

[The attached log has been removed to the MSAR website; the
URL is http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/archive/RADIO_LOG.xls -Una]

The attached log I made up for the communications dispatcher. The file
can be used as a paper printout or as an excel file on the laptop. I
wanted something that would give me more information as the dispatcher
then the forms I had seen to date.

The top header I think is self explanatory. You can track up to 12
teams at a time (you can add more if you want). This gives you names of
team members and team id's (folks always like it if you know their
name). You fill in time on the far left and messages across. Now you
can look down the sheets as they are filled in for both time sequence
and team/clue information. The sheet one you only use once. Sheet two
you can copy/printout as many sheets as you need.

The sheets are set up to print on 8.5 X 11 and 11 X 17 paper. There is
also a computer version. For this you can just add lines as needed.

If you use the form, please provide feedback. I am always open to
suggestions. As any engineer will tell you, we learn more by what we
get wrong then what we get right.

It works best if your dispatcher is using a headset microphone and a
foot switch PTT (Push To Talk). This way the dispatcher can fill in the
form and is not bothered by any chatter in the dispatch area.

Larry Raskin
Communications Officer TROT-SAR

  • RE: [MSAR] LOGS - Radio Log Form, Raskin, Larry, 04/23/2005