msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Don't Let This Happen To You!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "MSAR Riders" <MSAR-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Don't Let This Happen To You!
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:30:04 -0800

Hal
I can't quite figure out if part of your post is a joke and part is serious or what?
 It is interesting about the seeing eye miniature horse, I heard they work great!
A major benefit for both the seeing eye and air scent horses are that their useful
life is over twice that of a k9, so you get more benifit from your training time.

In my travels after talking to different SAR dog handlers about MSAR,
(including air scenting) I will say the overwelming majority of the K9 group
are  very helpful, open minded, dedicated to search, rescue and recovery.
They give SAR and their search tool a good name. But I have run across
some (a very small minority ) that obviously do not believe SAR is a Team Effort.
It is easy to figure out that they want to contuniously be in the spot light and in their
mind a successful SAR mission is secondary to their personal wants and protecting
their reputation from failure.

Here is a tip that may help you figure out who is who - Open minded
skepticism, questioning, and suggestions for something new is normal and
necessary for learning and improvement.
On the other hand, closed mindedness, cut downs, personal attacks, and
unfounded negativity are signs of insecurity or show lack of willingness to learn.

Search, Rescue and Recovery is a Team Effort , as a rule it usually  takes
several different search tools working together to bring the search to a successful end.

TER