msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Cadaver

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jeff Ezell <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Cadaver
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:24:20 -0500

One of the things I've noticed in many horses is their aversion to dead
animals. They usually don't want to go near them even after strong
encouragement. Others have the same experience?

As a dog handler, we must proof our K9s off all animal remains including
bones. If they alert on animals they will fail most everyone's
certification. We are a long way from this with the horse/mule training, but
it will be interesting to see what they can do in this animal/human
differentiation.

Jeff Ezell
US Regional Search Dogs
US Search Affiliates