msar-riders - [MSAR] Scenting Horse Clinic, Part 2

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Terry Nowacki" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Scenting Horse Clinic, Part 2
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:35:58 -0700

Chris asked - would it be beneficial to be able to observe one of your
> training's without having a horse present?
Yes, my last clinic was a perfect example, on the second day we took all horses, handlers and auditors out in rolling field with grass being a lush three or four feet tall. The auditors and waiting handlers watched  from a hill top as one by one my students worked their horses on a search pattern looking for a hiding subject where the vast majoirty of horses located the subject by scenting.  From our wonderful vantage point all watching were able to pick out and discuss silent alert signals as they were happening. Actually many of the observers said they liked seeing  the different signals from the 10 different horses which do vary some from horse to horse.
Because this is a new concept to SAR my clinics are improving each time I put one on.  I have even had several people from different states attend my scenting clinic more than once .(Even as much as three times for the same person.)
All SAR would benefit if all teams in a search had a better understanding of scent detection. In my Silent Alert Signal /Air Scenting Horse Clinics I give a explanation of different types of scent searching and demonstrations on scent movement. It is important that all SAR personnel have good understanding of scent detection because many times K9 searches have been  hampered by well meaning folks that did not understand that they were inadvertently jeopardized the scent search for  K9s by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

TER
Training Officer
Marshall County Mounted Sheriffs Posse ( 80 plus membership SAR Team )

  • [MSAR] Scenting Horse Clinic, Part 2, Terry Nowacki, 10/25/2004